IOSR with the behavior of adolescent. This research

IOSR Journal Of Humanities And Social Science (IOSR-JHSS) Volume 21, Issue11, Ver. 6 (Nov. 2016) PP 21-25 e-ISSN: 2279-0837, p-ISSN: 2279-0845. www.iosrjournals.org Language Fetishism in Indonesian Popular Songs and ItsInfluence to Indonesian’s Young Generation  Asrofah, FestiHimatuKarima, Larasati University of PGRI Semarang, Semarang, Indonesia Abstract: This study aims to describe the forms of  Indonesian Popular Songs which has erotic and sensual lyricor we call it as language fetishism and its effect to the young generation. We choose the terms of fetishism,because of its characteristics, which can influence someone who is addict to the songs and motivate them to findsuch a song to fulfill their sexual desire. The data were collected from the population of Indonesian popularsongs during the 2000 -2015. All of the data were analyzed by using descriptive qualitative method and we alsouse the questionnaire to know the impact of the songs to the teenager?s attitude. The results of the study are asfollow. There are two types of language fetishism from the songs, which displayed openly and transparentlyfrom the lyrics of the songs. Based on the data that has been collected, there are 98% confessions of teenagerthat every time they heard the songs, they imagined every event which try to be described from the lyric of  thesongs. And finally, the songs can motivate the teenager to do something related to the sexual activity.Key Words: song lyric, language fetishism, young generation I. INTRODUCTION Language is the most important communication media in the world. With language people can interact,share their opinion, expressing emotions and feelings and work together. Meanwhile, in a song, the language isused as a mean of communication to convey thoughts and feelings of a songwriter to the audience.Thesongwriter has different tastes in expressing ideas, emotions and feelings. In writing the songs, they use poeticlanguage, polite language, and sometimes they also use vulgar language. The development of Indonesian songslately is so worrying. There are so many songs which contain of language eroticism and forbidden to be heardby the young generation. The songs even had occupied the highest chart of Indonesian songs, which indicatesthat the songs are loved by the Indonesian teenagers as the listener. We can see from the title of the song, forexample DosaTermanis (the most beautiful sin), IwakPeyek (refers to sexual disorder), Belah Duren (refers tothe making love activity), and KeongRacun (refers to the one night stand).Several years ago, Cougar Hall,Joshua H. West, and Shane Hill from Brigham Young University of Provo, Utah managed to find the relationbetween lyric of the songs with the behavior of adolescent. This research was published in the journal Sexualityand Culture, which explained that teenagers who regularly listen to the popular song with contain of languagefetishism will harm their general  mindset.   II. LITERARY REVIEWLanguage, Language  Fetishism and Song Lyric According GorysKeraf one of language function is as a mean of self-expression. Form of selfexpressioniswhat appeared in Indonesian popular songs. Therefore, the government frees people to argue andexpress themselves. It becomes a boomerang for the government when they try to promote the charactereducation for the students whether on the other hand they are facing the social conditions that are far from themoral values. And language fetishism found in Indonesian popular song is become one of the example.According to Gamman and Makinen, they sum up the use in three fields “Fetishism, we would argue, is bydefinition a displacement of meaning through synecdoche, the displacement of the object of the desire ontosomething else through processes of disavowal (1994:45). In other hand, Freud treats fetishism as a deviationfrom the normal sexual aim of copulating leading to the release of sexual tension.In general, fetishism is definedas a term for someone who has sexual disorder.This kind of sexual disorder make the person feels sexualsatisfaction every time they interact to some object or something. Language fetishism means that someone who has sexual disorder related to the language of thesong. To be more clearly, language fetishism is focusing to the person who refers to the song writer or song lover, who is enjoying the language of the song because of itssexual or erotic language. The developing process of human behavior that is influenced by the actual fetishismlanguage is quite complex. It needs a simple but comprehensive learning process performed by users oflanguage, stimulus and response.According to Skinner, together they comprised what was called a reflex—on DOI: 10.9790/0837-2111062125                                 www.iosrjournals.org                                             21 | Page Language Fetishism in Indonesian Popular Songs and Its Influence to Indonesian’s Young Generation  the theory that the disturbance caused by the stimulus passed to the central nervous system and was reflectedback to the muscles (2014: 47). And finally it can influence the behavior, because it will control the mind of theuser or person. If the user, in this case is the song lovers,frequently interact to the kind of the songs, it willautomatically be included that they have language fetishism tendency. In 2008, Dr. A Brian Primack found that1 among 3 teenagers, who frequently interact with this kind of fetishism songs for approximately 14 hours a dayproved to actively perform sexual favors. He also says those teenagers who love listening to the fetishism songshave higher risk in depression. It is proven by Martino and team, that listening to music with degrading sexuallyrics is related to advances in a range of sexual activities among teenager (2006: 430-441). In this study, the writers want to analyze how severe the condition of Indonesian popular songs. To bemore specific, the writers focus the study on 1) showing the form of language fetishism in the text of Indonesianpopular songs and 2) to know how far the language fetishism from the song can influence the Indonesian younggeneration. III. RESEARCH METHOD This study was conducted using two methods, the analytic descriptive method and qualitative methods.Theanalytic descriptive method can be done by describing the facts which followed by analysis (Ratna, 2004:53). While qualitative methods intended to explain this study to be more accurate in describing the results of theanalysis of the song. The stages of this study are: 1) a preliminary study with an analysis of the conditions of thesong and theoretical analysis of collecting data through questionnaires and direct observation 2) Organizing datacollection; 3) analyzing the result of data collection; 4) describing the results of the analysis; and 5) describingthe destructive potential that can be inflicted by these songs. IV. FINDINGS AND DISCUSSIONS 1. Language Fetishism Found in Indonesian Popular Songsa. Belah Duren Song LyricsThe lyrics Belah Duren popularized by Indonesian dangdut singer Julia Perez. The song lyrics contain the story of the first night experienced by two people who loved each other. In the song, the first night activitiesidentified with the language “Belah Duren” The words „Belah Duren’ actually already popular among thesociety. In philosophy, language duren interpreted as the fruit which very expensive, sweet, and very enjoyable.Activity of „Belah Duren’ was sexual intercourse carried by a pair of newlyweds. Expression of fetishismlanguage of the song was as follows. MakandurendimalamhariPaling enakdengankekasih Dibelah bang dibelahEnak bang silahkandibelah  The lyrics above served as the chorus of the lyrics that can be repeated. This can be interpreted as animportant part of the song that was emphasized by the songwriter; the description of “making love” activities. Inthe lyrics also mentioned that makanduren di malamhariwhich means that activities like sexual intercoursewhich is conducted in the night. In the next lyrics, paling enakdengankekasih, obviously explain about thesexualactivity will be very enjoyable if we do it with someone that we love. Invitation to arouse the audience throughthis song was clearly written on the lyrics „dibelah bang dibelah’. The lyrics of this song was a hint of aninvitation to start a sexual relationship given by the woman to her partner to do so immediately, namely„belahduren’. The songwriter also gave the stereotype that „belahduren’ was commonin society, preferably andwaiting for everyone. As if „belahduren’ was an inevitability or necessity to do newlyweds on the first night. Infact, in the extreme the songwriter saidsampaipagi pun yowis bensuggesting that first night activities,particularly „belahduren’or sexual intercourse was fun for the newlyweds. Semua orang pastisukabelahdurenApalagimalampengantinSampaipagi pun yowis ben It was also said by the songwriter that ‘durian’ on the first night was exceptional, which meant sexualactivity on the “first night” was very different than another times.  Yang satuinidurennyaluarbiasaBisabikin bang gatahanSampai-sampaiketagihan b. Satu Jam Saja Song LyricsSatu Jam Saja or one night stand is a song popularized by Zaskia Gothic. One night stand actually has thenegative sense in meaning. In English also known as casual sex, meant having sex without commitment. Thelyric can be seen as follows: DOI: 10.9790/0837-2111062125                                 www.iosrjournals.org                                             22 | Page Language Fetishism in Indonesian Popular Songs and Its Influence to Indonesian’s Young Generation  Akusayangjantungkudeg-deganWaktukamupelukdiriku AkusayangbadankugemetaranWaktukamukecupkeningku The text above is describing the sexual activity between two lovers directly. There are manyfeelings felt by the woman as a subject of the song. She felt passionate when her lover touched andhugged her passionately. She also felt tremble and thrill every time his lover kissed her.  Satu jam sajabercumbudenganmuSatu jam sajakudimanjakanmuSatu jam sajakubercumburayuSatu jam sajabercintadenganmu As we can see here, all of the lyrics above have language fetishism. The chosen words by the song writer explain more about the sexual activity of the two lovers. From this language fetishism, we canassume that the woman only needs one hour relationship or to be more clearly she only want casual sexfrom her partner. Of course, thissituation is very danger to be known by the listeners, especially teenager,because it will influence the listener to imagine of doing something as stated in the lyric.  The erotic lyric punctuated with the next lyric, which is clarified the erotic moment of one nightstand. Just like in the lyric below Akudisentuhnya, akudibuainyaAkudiciumnya, akudipeluknyaAkudicumbunya, akudirayunya Satu jam saja oh mesranyaSatu jam saja  The singer said that she is been touched, caressed, kissed etc, which is meant that they were doingsexual activity. That activity is a form of fetishism which is used by the song writer to cultivate the power ofsuggestion and attract the public. This sexual activity which done by two lovers (probably unmarried) issomething that cannot be accepted in our social culture. But the woman felt pleasure and happy when the sexualactivity dominated by man. She felt worshiped and spoiled. 2. The Influence of Indonesian Popular Song Containing Language Fetishism to TeenagerIt was known that the teenager is a person who is familiar with the music. There were no teenagers who do not like music, including the type of popular song that was currently being developed in the society. Thesongs can be dangdut, campur sari, and pop. Based on the research, teenagers liked with popular songs and oftenheard the song, either intentional or unintentional. On average, they listened to popular songs for 1-5 hours aday. The songs were heard repeated, it meant the song played today, tomorrow or the next day will be played. The data was also known that 87% of teenagers prefer to listen to songs alone than together. Theyenjoy popular songs outside of school hours learning. Popular songs more often heard in the house when theywere alone, both when relaxing or during learning. Thus, the song can be friends while learning. The followingtable was about teenagers respond of popular song circulating on the society. Table 1. Teenagers Responses of Popular Song 1 No Elements Percentage1 The interest of the songs 59,2%2 The understand of the song lyrics 73,6%3 Erotic lyrics on popular songs 85,6%4 Taboo popular songs 82,4% 5 Popular songs in society 92%6 The influences of popular songs to the listeners mindset 88% According to the table above, it can be explained that as many as 59.2% of teenagers interested in popular songs. Furthermore, there are 73.2% of teenagers also understand the lyrics of the popular songs.Related with the themes of the popular song, there are 85% of teenagers admitted that the theme of popularsongs nuanced eroticism or sexuality. Because of this eroticism nuanced, as many as 82.4% of teenagersassumed that popular songs lyrics were taboo. However, those songs were very popular in the society. Thisstatement was made by 92% of teenagers.  Another question in the questionnaire related with the influence of DOI: 10.9790/0837-2111062125                                 www.iosrjournals.org                                             23 | Page Language Fetishism in Indonesian Popular Songs and Its Influence to Indonesian’s Young Generation  the popular songs to the teenagers? mindset, and for about 88% of teenagers admitted that those lyric of thesongs were very influential to them. Table 2. The Correlation of Listen to Songs with Mindset and Behavior No Elements Yes  No 1 Listening to the popular song can motivate the listeners 95% 5%2 When they hear the song, the listener will imagine the events in the song 90% 10%  3 When they heard constantly, they will influence the teenagersbehavior 96% 4% 4 Listeners tune emotion while listening to the songs 84% 16%5 The listeners feel the desire from the song lyric 85% 15%     According to the table above, it can be explained that 95% of teenagers feel motivated whenthey werelistening to the popularsongs, the remaining 5% were not motivated. Furthermore, the condition of the listener’smind when listening to popular songs, 90% of teenagers admitted that they were imagining events as theexisting content in the songs that they heard, the remaining 10% of teenagers did not recognize it. Then, theeffect of the song to the teenagers on their behavior, it was known that 96% of teenagers admitted that there wasa relation in hearing the continuously with the behavior of the teenagers. In connection with the influence of theemotional song, 84% of teenagers admitted that the listener will listen to the songs emotionally. Furthermore, inthe behavioral effects, 85% of teenagers admitted that there was a desire to do something what they heard fromthe popular song, the remaining 15% did not recognize it. Table 3. The Effect on the Teenagers BehaviorNo Elements  Yes No 1 Listeners often sings (memorized) wherever they want to sing 80% 20%2 Listeners often use the word / term from the songs 85% 15%3 Listeners will trythe affectionate terms in popular songs to the loved ones (boyfriend/girlfiend)68% 32% Based on the above data, it was known that teenagers that often listen to the popular songs will affect their behavior. They would sing his favorite songs, wherever they are. This was supported by the dataacquisition, which as many as 80% answered ‘yes’ and 20% answered ‘no’. Teenagers often use the terms orwords that existed in popular songs that they often heard in everyday life. This was evidenced by as much as85% of respondents said yes and 15% said ‘no’. Furthermore, teenagers often express terms tenderly on the songto his loved ones (boyfriend), as much as 68%,  andthe remaining 32% said ‘no’. V. CONCLUSION It was undeniable that the songs that circulated in society were very influential in the mindset andbehavior of the listeners; it was proven by teenagers who were respondents in this study. In this chapterpresented a discussion of the results of existing research.Based on the research results, there were some findingsthat can be a muse. The condition was a normal fact that almost everyone probably experienced it. However, thefact said that 85% of teenagers admitted that there was a desire to do what was sung in the song that they haveheard. The fact says that was a small portrait which became a thought for parents. The desire to do erotic sceneswas something that was harmful for teenagers. If their youthful desire can be detained, it will be good, but if itcannot be detained, it will caused deviant sexual activity to their friend and their lover. The condition wascontinuous with the finding that 68% of respondents admitted to frequently utter the term affectionately as thewords in the song audible to the loved ones or girlfriend.  BIBLIOGRAPHY 1 Barker, Chris. 2004. Cultural Studies: teori dan Praktik. Yogyakarta: Kreasi Wacana2 Fatoni, Abdurrahmat. 2005. Antropologi Sosial Budaya Suatu Pengantar. Jakarta: Rineka Cipta.3 Gall, Meredith D., Joyce P, Gall, dan Walter R Borg. 2003. Education RecearchAn Introduction. New York: Pearson Education. 4 Gamman, Lorraine &Makinen, Merja (1994) Female Fetishsm: A new look, London: New Left Review, 65:69-855 Jaszczolt.K. 2000.Language and Thought.www.cam.ac.uk.6 Kartadinata, Sunaryo. 2010. MencariBentukKarakterBangsa. Artikel Internet diunduh 13 Februari 2010. DOI: 10.9790/0837-2111062125                                 www.iosrjournals.org                                             24 | Page Language Fetishism in Indonesian Popular Songs and Its Influence to Indonesian’s Young Generation  7 Koentjaraningrat.2000. pengantarIlmuAntropologi. Jakarta. RinekaCipta.8 Keraf, Gorys. 2001. Dikisidan Gaya Bahasa. Jakarta: GramediaPustakaUtama.9 Primack, Brian A. 2009.”Exposure to Sexual Lyrics and Sexual Experience Among Urban Adolescents”. http://www.primack.net/professional/articles/r017ajpm2009.pdf(1 November 2015)10 Primack,Brian A.2008. “Degrading and Non-Degrading Sex in Popular Music: A Content Analysis”. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2496932/11 Ramelan. 1978. “Penguasaan dan Keterampilan Berbahasa”. Lembaran Ilmu Pengetahuan VII.2:22. Semarang IKIP Semarang Press.12 Tampubolon, Daulat P. 2001. “Peran Bahasa dalam Memajukan Bangsa”. Jurnal Ilmiah Masyarakat Linguistik Indonesia XIX. Jakarta: Pusat Kajian Bahasa dan Budaya.13 Wierzbicka. 1999. Emotions Across Language and Culture. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.14 Yahya, Khan. 2010. Pendidikan Karakter Berbasis Potensi Diri Mendongkrak Kualitas Pendidikan. Yogyakarta: Pelangi Publishing.  15 http://psychcentral.com/news/2009/02/26/song-lyrics-influence-sexual-behavior/4366.html16 http://t_wahyu.staff.gunadarma.ac.id/17 http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/exposure-to-lyrics-with-degrading-sex-linked-to-early-sex-experience-1.79565818 http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3008595/Martino SC, Collins RL, Elliott MN, Strachman A, Kanouse DE, Berry SH .Exposure to degrading versus nondegrading music lyrics and sexual behavioramong youth.Pediatrics. 2006 Aug; 118(2):e430-41.   DOI: 10.9790/0837-2111062125                                 www.iosrjournals.org                                             25 | Page 

x

Hi!
I'm Isaac!

Would you like to get a custom essay? How about receiving a customized one?

Check it out